About Me

My photo
I write. I act. I like glitter a little too much and live inside my head. Its pretty there. :)

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I was a teenage fairy


ONCE UPON A TIME, there was a GIRL caught in a grown-up WORLD of SUPERSTARS and SUPERMODELS, a glitz-and-glamour web of SECRETS and LIES.
This is the story of Barbie Marks, who dreams o being the one behind the camera, not some barely flesh-and-blood version of the plastic doll she was named after. It is the story of Griffin Tyler, whose androgynous beauty hides the dark pain within him. And finally, it is the story of mab, a pinkie-sized, magenta-haired, straight-talking fairy who may or may not be real.

First things first. Let me say that I am a HUGE Francesa Lia Block fan as you might have noticed. The quote in underneath my header is by her, my button is a picture from one of her covers, and a few weeks ago I bought Kisses from Hell just because it had a story from her in it. I can't help it. She is amazing. She paints such vivid images with her writing and makes even something like the city of Los Angeles feel like a place of fairy tales. I adore The Weetzie Bat series by her but sadly don't have copies of it. The only book of hers I have a copy of is I was a teenage fairy which is a story of growing up to fast, finding yourself, and the consequences of that. Blocks character Barbie is a girl that despite everything still tries her hardest to enjoy life along with her fiesty sidekick fairy friend Mab and it isn't until her past shows up again that she truly freaks out about it.Only instead of sulking,she takes matters into her own hands. This story is one of those that sticks with you long after you read it. Although I should warn you its definitely for a more mature audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment